Saturday, October 07, 2006

Saturday again


thought I would put up a photo of my next project- a tee shirt wall hanging for my brother. I just went over to the lqs that has stored my bolt of 49er fabric for several years now. You can see it in the bottom of the rough cut shirts hanging...it will be the backing fabric. I have 3 more maroon colored shirts to cut apart and then start stitching together. My friend who owns the lqs, teaches a class on her way of making these quilts/wall hangings. I am going to try what she suggested-which is no fusible interfacing, zig zag the shirts on top of each other...sandwich, and use a large meander stitch to quilt it together. This means not having to pay a longarm quilter and puts it all on me.
This won't be any larger than 72 by 96 as that is the largest his wall can hold. I am excited to tackle something new-and do something for him. He is my baby brother ...ten years younger-and such a wonderful sweet man. We fly out early November to visit with my sister and her family and will also be seeing my brother and his. I am so looking forward to spending time with all of them.

10 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

A 49er's fan, huh? He will like this quilt. Keep us posted on your progress.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

Be sure and keep us posted on your progress and the steps you are going through to make this t-shirt quilt. It intrigues me. I have only made one t-shirt quilt and I used fusible interfacing. Not using any interfacing interests me.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I was a huge 49er fan during the Joe Montana years. T-shirt quilts are fun, he'll love it.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Carolyn said...

OMG, I've been searching for that 49ers fabric for years! I made a 49ers quillow for my son about 10 years ago. He slept with it every night and the 49ers fabric just wore away. I've been looking for the pillow panel to make a new pocket for it. If you have any left when you're finished and would like to share, I'd love to trade you/pay you for a panel!

Carolyn

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Interesting method - so are the t-shirt edges left raw edge? It will be a well-loved quilt for any 49ers fan, that is for sure! How fun that you are planning on a family visit!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Darcie said...

Ooh...I had such a crush on Joe Montana way back when...and Jim McMahon (sp?). Didn't know one ioda about football though!

Keep us posted as to how assembling the t-shirt quilt in that manner goes. I've been thinking about doing a no-fuss one for my son for graduation.

Have a great weekend!

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Pam said...

It's about time his name came up for a quilt. Do you plan to hand deliver it?

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Gail said...

Look at all you have collected-I don't think I could find that many team related things!

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

i hope you'll post progress report on the t-shirt quilt. I've never made one before so i'm curious to know how to make one.

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck on this! I'll be excited to see your zig-zag sandwich method progress!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home