Sunday, February 01, 2009

someone bid on the quilt I did last November...

woo hoo! When I received the email that the small quilt I sent in thanks to Tonya's Project Hope Challenge back in November was now available to be bid on-I sent links to a few friends and family members. I was showing M tonight and realized someone has placed a bid on it, and I don't think it is anyone I know...how cool is that? I hope it brings in more money to help the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative, as that is such a worthwhile cause.
Want to place a bid? just go here.

It's Sunday night and I have spent the majority of the day working on the Fab challenge-it won't get mailed tomorrow, our deadline, but...it's looking great and about to the 2/3 finished mark. Of course, then I need to quilt it etc. It has a huge amount of piecing in it and some not wonderful satin stitch applique work. It absolutely says Summer, and on a gray day like today was, a delight to be working on. I have bought very little fabric to go with the challenge and other fabrics I chose to use. So, though I can't share any photos until after the reveal-I will share photos of something I bid the highest on at our yearly guild auction a week or so ago.



I won house blocks (one is signed by Freddy herself - click to enlarge and look at the house with stripes) fabric and the book - autographed to Becky 2001. I suppose Becky made a few blocks in a class with Freddy and decided she did not want to finish this into anything. What a great contribution she made to our guild's yearly auction. I was in a bidding war with another quilter who finally made a deal with me- I could have this if I would stop bidding on another great item.
I also bid and won two other items which I will share another time. I have been reading Freddy's book and enjoying her approach to color and collecting fabric. Her home is amazing in it's use of saturated colors. I have some fabrics I brought back from our honeymoon in Paris nearly ten years ago and will add them in with the batch I won. Our ten year anniversary is next year and I think that is plenty of time to have something made using these blocks, making more, and using up this fabric. It will be the perfect quilt given the French fabrics.

And, I received word back on my application for this year's Sisters week of workshops. 500 people got theirs in ahead of me, so all classes I wanted were totally filled. I was able to get the lectures I wanted and we will attend the Friday night picnic and talk with Gwen and Freddy.
I am happy to look forward to enjoying the Thursday and Friday events in Sisters, in addition to the quilt show on Saturday. I am going to find another venue where Gwen teaches to try and attend in 2010. In the meanwhile I have plenty of great books to work from and fellow bloggers who enjoy doing the same liberated style of quilting to keep me company.

Well, another few hours of stitching and then it's good night on a great weekend.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Blogger jovaliquilts said...

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get the classes you wanted -- I'm sure they fill up the second they open. But contratulations on your Alzheimer's quilt! That's wonderful.

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger Clare said...

Didn't Tonya say Gwen is going to Florida at some point? A very long way I know, but just think of the fun you would have! At least you get to go to the picnic and hear them both speak.

Huge congrats on your Hope quilt. I don't know where mine has go to. I expect it's in a suitcase in Florida LOL!

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

sorry you didn't get into the classes, but wheeee at least you get to go to the lectures and see the quilts and you know it will be amazing.

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger Twisted Quilts said...

One of my goals in life is to go to Sisters, maybe one day. You will have to share your experience with us. I love the houses you won and how special to be signed by Freddy.

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Congrats on your HOPE quilt...how awesome is that!

What wonderful blocks you won and a book signed by Freddy herself!

Sorry you didn't get into the classes you want but, at least, you will hear the lecture!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home