Saturday, August 09, 2014

it's been a long long time...

I was sidetracked so long, blogger changed and I have had a heck of a time regaining access to my own blog in order to post.

So, while I have now figured out how to gain access I am posting a short message to say yes, I am quilting, and yes..life has indeed been quite busy.

I just finished reading Gwen Marston's book, Minimal Quiltmaking.  I am a huge fan of Gwen and it was another inspiring and delightful book.


Gwen talks about sketching out with pencil a rough design/layout ...what a terrific idea that would have served me well, before I dived into making blocks from 3 challenge fabrics I picked up from my local guild.

 I missed their deadline for turning in a quilt using the fabrics, but I did make many blocks.  Last Sunday, I was inspired to make more and today when I looked at the row I had sewn together, I noticed I had put it in the wrong order.  I have now taken the one seam apart and will insert the block that needs to be there and it will be much better.
  I may stop and consider drawing up the rest of my block ideas to go with the two rows I have and save myself from making any more design errors. I am playing with a variety of different color values and placements of the challenge fabrics and finding 3 to be fairly difficult to achieve the effect I "see" in my mind.

This quilt will end up going to my favorite children's charity group so I won't have to live with it.
Time to get off the computer and on to the sewing part of the day!

peace be with you, Cher


4 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

woohoo for some sewing and definitely for updating your blog, LOL.

Will wait for pictures at some point?

I had quilt guild today but I did get part of the tree skirt done yesterday before some tstorms rolled in.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Norma said...

Keeping up with blog posting can be a challenge in itself. I too must get back to updating my blog regularly.

i can totally relate to what you are saying with respect to trying to get out in fabric what you are seeing in your mind's eye. I was reminded of the value of a digital camera set to black and white in the design process when I was at my guild's workshop this past weekend. I am back to using this as a tool in my toolbox again.

Here's to great designs that please our own eyes!

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Michele Bilyeu said...

So, glad you are back, Cher! I'm going up and down, back and forth, and sideways..but luckily with no sense of direction, I barely notice and even semi's blaring their horns at me on I-5 doesn't stop me! Busy, busy time and lots of family transitions. I need to let you in on a few of my hidden pictures of my life that aren't in the blog post/fb post I got up and running today. Blessings abound even even amidst the hardest of times! hugs to you and your sweeties!

 
At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finished produce = what I saw in my mind's eye? Never happens. Doesn't mean I don't like the result, but it is never quite...I guess that may be where quilt series come from.

Sketching. I do it. MQG webinar (forget who) also recommended it: ball park plan, still improv piecing. I haven't tried that mix yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home