Tuesday, May 01, 2007

retreat photos etc





I was uploading photos this morning and managed to drop my camera with the lens extended,please-cross your fingers/toes that they can repair my clumsyness. Let's back up to Friday arriving at retreat. I was of course the first one there- so I helped do some setting up and then dived into my own sewing. I had about three sections of my jigsaw top to stitch-cut and add the two borders and got that done by supper time. I did stop and have a run into town for a latte and found the quilt shop on the way-discount for retreaters and I was a happy shopper. I plan on going back as they had fabulous fabrics-lots of brights and just a whole lot of my kind of fabrics-whereas the old favorite shop closer to home seems to have less and less fabric each time I visit. So- after supper I was pressing the Amish roman stripe using not my own iron and it spit black stuff on the top...ack!!! I washed and rinsed and hung it up to dry overnight-on to the next project. I had cut out muslin squares and brought two large ziplock bags filled with strings-my birthday wish was for each retreater to make a block if they were so inclined. I ended up with about 22 blocks-though I took a photo prior to all of them being put up-I hear a few more will be showing up at guild night. These will go to Heartstrings
once I have them all turned in-the link takes you to a photo I already uploaded of them.
The next day I pressed and sandwiched and quilted the roman stripe quilt- this is the one and only quilt my boss ever made-about 20 years ago-she had it put away up in her attic and now, it's quilted, binding to be put on sometime this week. black on black...ugh. I then pulled out 3 fat quarter packs of lovely Asian fabrics I bought many years ago at some quilt show. Always petted them, never knew what to do with them-I cut them into one and a half inch strips and created a wall hanging-had I brought the right color thread, I would have quilted it during retreat- I did stop on the way home and buy the perfect color threads for it-so that project will get finished this week too. And last but not least I pulled out a project from the only class I took last year-Billie Lauder's beyond the rail fence- my rainbow rails around the world. As you can see-six rows got stitched - the gal next to me had brought hers too-and she was able to get her top together I believe-she had done a different design. So....a ton of fun hanging out with like minded quilters-lots of great eating, talking, and laughing...many, many terrific projects completed by everyone-and a grand time for me

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

What a fantastic way to spend the weekend and celebrate your birthday! Lots of production over the three days span too. The jigsaw especially looks great but I really like the rails around the world too--nice and bright!

PS love the slippers

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Looks like you made a lot of progress. I hate when Irons Spew - irks me to no end, but I am glad it washed out. Keep up the good work.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger swooze said...

What fun! I need a retreat! Loved all the pics. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Those are some lovely quilts you have to show there! Thanks for sharing your retreat.

And I'm crossing fingers and toes that your camera will be okay!

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

They all look great but I love the little heart quilt.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Patti said...

My goodness you were a prolific retreater! The puzzle top looks great! As do the other things. Oh by - I sure do hope your camera is OK!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Greenmare said...

AWESOME! Great quilts, and sounds like a GREAT retreat!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Your retreat sounds like a blast! I love the setting for the rail fence you did. A friend of mine lives not too far from Billie and hears her lecture or takes a class fairly often. She's just alot of fun, isn't she?

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Clare said...

What fantastic quilts. Your jigsaw quilt is beautiful. My camera has got to go to the repair shop too. I don't know what I'm going to do without it.

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger Meredith said...

You had a very productive retreat. They really are fun and I hope your camera can be repaired.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Hi Cher, what great pictures! Hope the camera can be fixed.
It sounds like a perfect get away and even a discovery that will result in more happiness...bright fabrics! Sending big hugs, Finn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home