Thursday, June 28, 2007

Alice visits her Nona






I always spelled my nona's name that way and decided to carry on the tradition with my own Alice. M suggested it should be spelled Nana...so how you pronounce the first a, gives you two different sounds....we often discuss language- for one thing, those that have "heard" me in person-know I routinely slaughter pronouncing many words...my vocabulary far outstrips my ability to either correctly say or spell many of them. However, I love using a variety of words in my speech and just do my best to say it close enough, that the person gets what I am trying to say. It's one of many lovable (or annoying for some) things about me, and makes for lots of giggling if you work with me to try and get me to say it "right"....my hearing and my ability to reproduce the sound correctly have always been a bit wonky...despite speech therapy as a young child. Oops, this is supposed to be much more about Alice sleeping over than my speech patterns. Of course I adored having her here and Zoe was totally entranced. I had to strongly supervise Zoe, so Alice would not have her face or body licked off! While Alice was napping, Zoe paced and paced, worried about her-any sound and she was right there making sure Alice was ok. A few photos of Alice enjoying herself- in the morning she played in my sewing room while I had my coffee- sitting on my lap and watching me type with one hand and later, playing on the floor. We found plenty to play with here without any of her toys being brought from the basket in the living room.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

she is SO precious! And how wonerful to carry ion the "nona" tradition!

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky Nona, Lucky LMAIW!

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger Sheila said...

Cher, I love your pictures of little Miss A. Our grands are about the same age I believe, and I am a Nana too (however you say it). I love being a grandmother! Toys are at a minimum here, as well... I'm amazed at the trappings that people believe kids need to keep from being bored, when all they need is a little interaction.
Sheila in Ohio

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Gail said...

Oh, Lucky, lucky Nona! How fun to have Alice to hug and kiss on all day through!

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger  Jeanne said...

Oh, Cher, she is just darling!!! And what fun she is having exploring!
Jeanne :)

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Hi Cher, what a precious gift your granddaughter is! And such a beauty as well...absolutely adorable is all I can say...wow!!
As for the Nona vs. Nana, I'm with you. We need to our own thing in these areas. There are soooooo many nana's all over the place, seems to imply little old white haired ladies in lace trimmed aprons to me. I like Nona..I like the two syllables..I like that it's slightly different and special between YOU and AlICE...nuf sed! Big hugs, Finna

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Actaully teh proper spelling would be Nonna, which is Italian for Grandmother. Nona is Italian for ninth.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Terry Grant said...

Hi Cher,
I happened upon your blog several weeks ago--funny who you run into when you start clicking links from one blog to another!

Your granddaughter is absolutely beautiful! My first grandchild, Sofi, is now 3 months old and I share your delight in being a grandmother.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

What beautiful photos of Miss Alice. Sounds like the two of you had a wonderful visit.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

Doesn't matter how you say it or spell it...you're a good one! ;-)

Isn't she just the cutest?!?! That age is so fun! Glad you mentioned...I was wondering how Zoe would do with Alice. Glad she's a good doggy.

Thanks for the pics!

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

She is such a little doll--and yeah, 1 year old now. I can see why Zoe would want to put some major licks on that sweet face, LOL. I see part of your TAW rail sticking out in one shot there. Think she will like to play with fabric some day?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home