Sunday, June 03, 2007

wrapping up the weekend

On a quilty note..
This is my progress on the wedding quilt-a nice start. There are a total of 16 rings. Both this yellow and purple were used in his brothers quilt too. I may move rings around, but, this is now up and will keep me motivated. I also am working on a ufo as my leader/ender to this project.

Today was my charity group meeting-one gal showed up and we had a short but fun time. She quilted on two quilts and I pinned a new one, plus trimmed both of hers. When I am in the binding mood, I can bind the two trimmed quilts. Another member left three finished quilts to add to our total. So, it's been a mostly quilty weekend - I sorted out my problem label - and it's on the quilt and I am hand binding it in the evenings. I tried a new weight watcher recipe-I love new recipes and cook books-I have a large collection and I am always on the lookout for something new to cook. This is a crockpot meal and we both agreed, it's a keeper.
It's chicken and sweet potato soup.
Ingredients: 3/4 pound skinless, boneless, chicken breasts, cut into one inch cubes, 3 small or 2 medium sweet potatoes (I used yams instead), pared and cut into one inch cubes, 1 large onion chopped, 1 can (29 ounces) salsa-style diced tomatoes with chilis (undrained) ok- I used two containers of our favorite fresh salsa and threw in a small can of green chilis-1 can (14 1/2 ounces) fat-free chicken broth (again I used up some chicken stock I had in the fridge) 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, 1/2 teaspoon (or more!) ground cumin, and 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels (do NOT thaw)
Preparation:
in a 4 quart slow cooker combine chicken, sweet potatoes, onion, tomatoes, broth,oregano, and cumin; cover and cook on Low for at least 6 hours.
stir in corn; cook on High until chicken and vegetables are very tender, about 30 to 55 minutes.

This makes 4 servings (so they say-lots more in our opinion!)
per serving: 270 calories; 1.5 g fat; 7 g fiber (5 points if you do that method)

My sweetie thought I could add lentils to this and it would taste good- so I will try that addition next time around. I was surprised at how well this tasted...really. Add salt when you serve-we use Kosher salt for the great flavor and that way we each get the "right" amount.

Lots of leftovers for the week-always a good thing in my opinion. I have been reading both off the computer (I am half way through a long way gone by ishmael beah) and blogs...still way behind but I am not giving up-eventually I will make it around several rings..too bad it's back to the work world for me tomorrow.
And thanks for the comments on Alice-she is such a delightful baby, and quite firm in her likes and dislikes...apple juice from her sippy cup wins over green beans being the latest assertion.
a lesson for her momma-treat apple juice like dessert, after the veggies if you want miss alice wonderful to eat her greens. LOL.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At 12:34 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

That Wedding Ring quilt looks interesting... I'll be looking forward to seeing some pictures of it in one piece.

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Sweet P said...

That soup sounds yummy. I'll have to give it a try. Alice is adorable. The wedding ring quilt looks cool. I like the colors so far.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Love the wedding ring progress. It's a pattern I've wanted to try for awhile. Just hasn't moved far enough up the wannabe list to get started.

Alice is SUCH a cutie!!! Thanks for sharing the new pics.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

I have never seen that particular pattern of the Wedding ring. Looks great, can't wait to see it completed.

 
At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cher ...
Do you have a link to a pic of the complete 'schematic' for the wedding ring quilt?
Thanks ...

(Miss Alice is certainly sumpthun else!)

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger  Jeanne said...

Hi Cher! I've jotted down the soup recipe -- sounds delish! Alice is such a sweetie!!!
Jeanne :)

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Greenmare said...

I can't wait to see more of your rings! Neat block!
and adorable baby!!!!

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Marla said...

I really love this. Is there a pattern available?????

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger atet said...

That ring pattern is lovely -- and Alice is absolutely adorable. Love the cheerios picture, they have been a big hit at our house for awhile now!

Sounds like you had a great weekend, isn't it wonderful to do what we love?

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Darcie said...

Mm-mmm. That recipe sounds delicious, Cher. Thanks for sharing it!

Glad you're finding some quilting time!

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Hey Cher,I think that pattern is a winner! Can't wait to see more.

And the soup recipe is intriguing...I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes or yams....how would it have been without them, do you think? Lentils might make up enough difference....hmmm? black beans?
Think I'll jot it down, it's totally right up my alley..including leftovers. I would think it would freeze.
Have a great weekend. Hugs, Finn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home