Wednesday, July 04, 2007

rainbow rail - a finished top


I burned a bit of midnight oil last night working on the two current projects-stopping at just short of 2 am when I was down to the last seam on the rainbow rail top. This morning I stitched that up and then asked M about a border-the answer being yes, of course it needs a border. sigh. I know she's right, but, that meant more time/work needed on this top. We thought the white with the colored polka dots would make a nice border. I went to the fabric room to pull butterfly flannel fabric I have been saving for quite a while. I pulled it out and looked at it closely. I put it up against the top...yes...those colors work as a border. So, into the washing machine went lengths of flannel, border and backing lengths. While that was going, I worked on the wedding quilt project. Choosing colors for many rings so I could stitch and see some more rings completed. I needed to go back and cut more wow strips as I had done such a good job of cutting squares, I failed to leave enough strips for the hsts! Finally the fabric was out of the dryer and ready for strip cutting for the borders. This stage of the top always seems extra long and often tedious to me. I measured down the middle and cut the long strips to that measurement...instead of doing an average-the end result are a few not so evenly "gathers" along the seam length. Too bad, I am not re-doing them. This will be a snuggle under watch tv sort of quilt-and once it's quilted, it will be just fine. I stitched the other two ends and had M hold the top up for a photo. The design wall is engulfed in wedding rings...and all sorts of loose squares waiting to be stitched. I just need to press the flannel pieces and seam the backing together-then it's off to the longarm quilter. This ended up finishing at 54 inches by 67 inches.
I want bapist fans quilted on it...and though I would love to handquilt this, I want it done sooner rather than later-it's my most recent ufo from last year. I started this in a class taught by Billie Lauder -Beyond the Rail Fence- there is a book out by that name over here.
Nice to have this done-the leader/ender idea really is so helpful. I will pull out another project -I have so many waiting their turn! later on. I am going to focus on getting this wedding quilt top to the hand over to the quilter stage now. I bought the king size batt for it yesterday using a lqs coupon...a nice savings. Dinner is cooking in the crockpot-chicken and yam soup. It's very very warm outside, but, with the a/c cranking, I am quite comfortable..even on the "cold" side.
I just can not think clearly if it's too hot-I need all my brain cells firing for getting these rings right! I promise, next post will feature Alice's birthday family party. I only have 60 to 70 photos to edit first LOL.


Labels:

15 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

I seems that you made maximum use of your day off! Happy July 4th! I just love this quilt--very "happy" colours--perfect to cuddle under!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I hate putting borders on too - I was just wondering yesterday why I decided this latest HeartStrings quilted needed 3 of them!

I like the Rainbow rails and those little puckers will disappear after quilting I'm sure.

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

wonderful. love the colors all together with the white. makes it looks so cheerful.

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

Great Job--- Beautiful quilt...

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger Gail said...

What a lot you accomplished today, and the quilt is neat. I just love colorful quilts, they make me smile.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

That is one happy quilt, Cher! I love the setting that you chose...and the colors of the rails.

Is that periwinkle paint and flooring that I see in your kitchen? Whatever it is...it is delightful!

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

Wow, you have energy! It looks fabulous!!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger McIrish Annie said...

that's a beauty! so simple but very effective. nice work

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally see this as a Red, White and Blue quilt...will need to think about this as a RWB quilt is a quilt I would like to make for myself for our holiday outtings....Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day could all use a RWB.

Good job..will be waiting pics of LMAIW bady pics

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Wow, that turned out really nice. Has a trip-around-the-world feel to it. Perfect size for a snuggle quilt and I love your border fabric. I don't enjoy putting on borders either.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger cityquilter grace said...

cher, what a beautiful and cheery quilt! the border is perfect!

cityquilter grace

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

I like the rainbow rails quilt. Nice colors. This is the first time in a week or two that I've been able to post on your blog. Blogger was not playing nice for me for awhile!

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Kim West said...

wow!! very pretty; love the way this one goes together!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger ForestJane said...

Very cool how the rail fence rainbow turned out!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Chookyblue...... said...

nice and bright....looks easy tom make up..........

 

Post a Comment

<< Home