Wednesday, February 25, 2009

guild scrap charity quilt challenge


Thanks to the momentum of quilting last Saturday, and in looking for something, I pulled out the bag of challenge fabric (for my guild challenge)- and per photo I have made a start on the quilt that is due the second week of March.

I sorted out the larger pieces and put up the likely ones for the backing. If you click to enlarge you will notice several stains on the small blue heart fabric. I had not planned to wash any of this fabric, however, I refuse to put anything stained into what I create . If it doesn't come clean by soaking it using a stain remover I will toss it and use another large piece from what was given.


There were assorted grocery bags to be handed out for this guild challenge-I think the majority of these fabrics in my bag will become a quilt that play together scrap style. I have made a start on stitching smaller pieces and yes, I can use a rotary cutter-not expertly and not super precisely-well enough to do an improv top however.

Adapting to living with a cast as anyone who has been there, done that knows, gives you plenty of discovery moments and lots of "aha" moments. I am always looking at stuff that "happens" to me to appreciate the lesson or learning opportunity presented.

Of course my word of the year-balance- is very apparent in my life right now too.
Between the focus on my word and the reality of my cast-I have more easily stepped back from much of the swirling busyness of life.

My cast has given me countless blessings-opening doors to allow me closer and more caring times with all sorts of people in my life when I ask for help. And, the opposite has been true-folks so consumed with their own situation they do not see my cast or the obvious consequences of wearing one.

It's been 22 days now of wearing it-I now laugh when people notice, oh, what happened to your hand ? etc...for me the novelty has long worn off and it is just business as usual dealing with it.

I do not spend any time longing for it to be off-I just plan stuff around it. I have plenty of time to meet the quilting deadlines coming up in the next 30 days-there is no stress or worry for me about them. I am not a drama person most of the time, I have fewer moments of allowing the negative to gain the upper hand in myself. It has been part of my work around gaining balance in my life.

Really,when you think about it, don't you find YOU have all the time you need to live your life?

as always, thanks for stopping by and if you leave a comment great, if not..that is great too.
make today be full of joy...that's my plan

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 8:05 AM, Blogger jovaliquilts said...

I love the way your guild is doing that challenge. I have been trying to think of a way to do a Linus challenge (I even have some fabrics grouped together in bags), and you have really spurred me to get going. Would you mind sharing a little more info with me about what the rules for the challenge are? Thanks!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

Where there is a will there is a way. Looks to me like you are proving that adage to be true.

Love the bright colors!

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

What a positive post, Cher! I love how you are not held back due your present condition. I love your guild's challenge idea!

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Hey Cher, my birthday fabrics from you have hit the cutting board and I'm super excited about the quilt I will make from them.
It will be a simple one, but lots of fun for someone *VBS*
I have the cutting done and it's time to sew.
Good to see you diving into another one after your success last week!! Yes, I have plenty of time for the things I love in my life. Great insights on your part, thanks *VBS* Hugs, Finn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home