Monday, March 19, 2007

a weekend of family and gardening



Saturday being Saint Patrick's Day-included a visit with Alice my grand daughter, as you can see her mom was in the spirit! So, I couldn't resist sharing this photo of her wearing of the green. And, I was finally able to get a good shot of her two bottom teeth showing. A top tooth is on the verge of making an appearance next! Then I went by my aunts and kidnapped her for the rest of the day - which included visiting a local nursery and buying a coral bark maple tree for my front yard. We were enjoying a gorgeous day of blue skies and warm enough to sit out on the new back patio in tee shirts and visit. She took us to dinner and we had a great meal and then back home for more canasta playing. We are about ready to move on to actual score keeping next time-it was her turn to be the big winner. And that pretty much shot Saturday for fitting in anything quilty. I may have done a smidge of cutting but not much. Sunday morning I got more cutting in until I decided it was "misting" outside and perfect for planting the tree. Out I went and five hours later I had a planted tree and a transplanted huge hydranga shrub in the ground. Digging in our clay and rock soil really gave me a work out. At least it was softened by all the recent rain and time of year. In another two months what soil I have not amended will harden into cement-good luck trying to pry out anything once it gets like that! So after that gardening stint, it was time for a shower and a meal. Then, family phone calls to catch up on and baking and soup making took over. The last cookie came out of the oven at about 10:30 pm- a huge batch of what M's sister calls buffalo chip cookies-and the end of the movie -the new Bond one at almost midnight. During take cookies out of the oven breaks, I cut fabric, so I did manage a little more progress on that. and by the way I made chicken vegatable soup this time-a new recipe I had to try out. In a few minutes I will be pressing fabric and cutting during the fifteen minutes or so before I need to stop and get ready for another day at work. Tonight, I will be in cutting mode. I sketched out a color design for these quilts and now I need to make sure I have all the colors washed and ready for cutting. I am not cutting up my scraps as I go in case I have to go back and use a fabric a second time. I am saving them in a very colorful stack and that is a photo waiting to be taken! I am gone on retreat next weekend so having this weekend of doing family and gardening etc worked out well-I won't feel any guilt about being gone.

10 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! And thanks for the new Alice photo. she's such a cutie and is growing so fast.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a Cutie! I also love the brights in your butterfly quilt - but the granddaughter is the best work of art!!

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh look how happy she is!!!!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger SuBee said...

You can't ask for a better weekend! And that baby is too gorgeous - more fun than anything, huh?

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Patti said...

Love the picture with her teeth showing! These are the first pictures I've noticed that show a bit of her Asian blood - I wodered whether or not she had any of her mother in her looks. Now I see it. She just gets cuter and cuter!
Good for you getting all that gardening done!

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

What a beautiful young lady. Love those teeth!

You had a busy weekend! I hope you enjoyed the cookies.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger swooze said...

Cute! They grow so fast!

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I've been wanting to see the new Bond movie - did you enjoy it?

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

Oh! What a sweetie! Just wait until she can help you with the gardening and dirt digging!

I'd be interested to hear about M's buffalo chip cookies, Cher. My sister-with-the-quilt-store lives in the *Buffalo City* of ND...and her store is just down the road from the largest buffalo (statue!) in the world. She's always doing fun buffalo-y things.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

What a sweet smile! She looks quite happy sitting with her Nona.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home