Thursday, March 15, 2007

what kind of quilts are me?


this was a birthday gift back in 2000. I worked sixty hours a week and most of my quilting was shopping for fabric and dreaming of the quilts I wanted to make. This friend took my situation to heart and this was the first of several bright quilts she made and sent to me. The result was I lost my own motivation to make myself a bright quilt and instead worked on other color ways. In fact, though I have all of Jan Mullen's patterns and at least one book-I have yet to make any of them myself. This is a wonderful example of Jan Mullen's designs-being a butterfly fabric collector - well-this was the perfect gift for me-and another friend quilted it- the quilting continues to amaze me to this day. I aspire to become this great at machine quilting...this is a small quilt..perfect for hanging up on the wall and enjoying. It just needs a sleeve...which maybe this year I will do.
So- when I think of a quilt that a person could say, this is a Cher quilt...well this would be a great example. Meanwhile, I am in a cutting frenzy of bright fabrics. I intend on taking a photo soon of the variety of fabrics I have been cutting - another wonderful example of a bright quilt I am making for myself...at long last. Thanks Ton! for the suggestion of topic for this post.

13 Comments:

At 7:26 AM, Blogger The Calico Cat said...

OOOO I love it - I am a big Jan Mullen fan... (I can't wrap my head around her piecing, but her fabrics are right up my alley!)

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger His Office, My Studio said...

Love the bright colors and design. Great Quilt!

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I like Jan Mullin's designs too. I have her book Cut Loose Quilts and it's one of my favorites.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

What a wonderful Cher quilt! And I can't wait to see what you're planning to make with the brights you're cutting.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger ForestJane said...

Ohh, I like how all the butterflies are unique - great design!

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Nicole & Phil said...

this looks great! I am a big Jan Mullen fan! I love the patterns, and her fabric is fabulous! Well done on a great finish! and I love the star wall hanging too! Well done on some great finishes!

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Tracey in CT said...

What a fun quilt!!! I love Jan's designs, though I've yet to make any of them. I just bought her newest book, Magic Ballz the other day...

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Kairle Oaks said...

That quilt could brighten anyone's day! Can't wait to see all of the cutting that's been going on!
Kairle

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Darcie said...

Cher!!! How long are you going to make us wait to see what you've got brewing?! You know that we want to know!!!

What a darling JM quilt! They are all so fun and lively and exude so much character.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

Cher, thanks for satisfying my curiosity. It's funny but this is more structured than the quilts I associate with you. Brights and butterflies - very colorful and full of life. Thanks!

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Quilts And Pieces said...

It is so fun! I made my first Jan Mullen pattern in January and loved it!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Granny said...

What a great friend and what a great quilt!

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger swooze said...

What a pretty quilt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home