Saturday, September 06, 2008

another charity ufo done


I finished this binding between my first and second cup of coffee this morning :-) It's pretty fast going when you apply the binding by machine only. I like to stitch the label on, again by machine, and then put the binding on the back, fold it over to the front and then topstitch it down. I use a straight stitch and it goes pretty fast. I used leftover fabric cut into binding strip size that I wanted to use up-not the best quality of fabric but, good for binding and it worked well with this top.

This is an example of what I call zoom line quilting. By the end of today I will have the other two bound and photos up. You will see more zoom quilting. My group meets tomorrow and I want to share these finished quilts and add them to the box I am sure we will fill. We have taken the last two months off, but, that doesn't mean folks have not been working on their charity quilts. I am sure there will be many finished quilts showing up to send to headquarters in WA.

Along with the quilts, I am including a special get well card for our founder, Ellen. She recently had a heart attack and I want her to know how much we wish her a speedy and full recovery.
Ellen is close to my age and always went a mile a minute in getting things done. She is an amazing woman and I fear, not always good about taking care of herself. She has already posted she is out of hospital and doing well. I know she may try and do too much-such a driven and dedicated quilter in the cause of getting quilts to children in need. Take this information as a wish that each of you take the time to care for yourselves well. No matter who you are, someone (it may only be yourself) is depending on you to be as healthy as you can be. I am certainly guilty of often pushing myself beyond my limits to get one more quilt done for some deadline. I have to laugh at myself for driving myself like that at times. The good thing is I have learned to take a break after such a time. And, I rarely push myself to that extent anymore-the older I become, the better I am at pacing myself. The need to rush along seems to have vanished for me. I really enjoy the quilting I do currently and I prefer to keep that joy attitude.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

Words of wisdom...terrific food for thought!

What fun quilts you've been working on...I love their controlled randomness. Lots of color, yet subdued with the prints. Very fun!

Enjoy your weekend, Cher!

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

Looks like you are all revved up for the meeting tomorrow then.

Cute top, Cher! One you made or someone else did?

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Grat job on another finish, Cher! you are on a roll :) Love the cute bears in the charity quilt...some child will LOVE it!

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

I am trying to learn the fine art of pacing as well...a little at a time, consistently is better than urgent projects all the time!

Glad you got your charity quilt done! For Heartstrings or another group? Looks great! It'll be fun to see the other ones too!

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Maureen and P.D. the Pet Dog said...

Hi Cher, Love your blog, full of fun and advise. Hope our group meeting is a good one.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Rosalyn Manesse said...

You are so right, take care of ourselves! Then we can put our minds to helping others. I made an afghan and a quilt for Warm Up America last year, but I really should try to do more charity quilts.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

It's funny but I also find myself pushing to finish things. It's not unusual for me to be stressed at being *behind* in my quilting even when I tell myself that I'm the one creating the pressure.

I hope that Ellen recovers fully from her heart attack and that you continue to have a balance in your quilting life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home