Friday, November 14, 2008

Friday-almost the weekend

This week has been a blur. I am slowly recovering from this cold/cough bug. I have taken on being the chairperson of our guild raffle ticket sales. I have 7,000 tickets to sell by April 4, 2009. Naturally I am not doing this by myself! We have a large guild and the expectation is everyone will buy 10 tickets and can then sell them or keep them. If everyone actually pays for their 10 tickets, I will still have 2,000 to sell to the public. Of course I do not think every member will actually follow through, and with helpers we are coming up with other ways of selling these tickets. My main task was to sort tickets into bundles of ten and put them with the name of each guild member.
Now that was quite the job that took hours and hours longer than I expected. We have state gambling rules to follow so there is much more detail record keeping to do than simply handing out tickets and taking money. I have to account for every numbered ticket and at the end send in a detailed accounting to the state. I am an accountant for my day job, so doing more spreadsheets was not such a big deal. We had a decent kick off last night, at our guild meeting, but even with two helpers, it got very hectic! I reaped the benefit of having all those bundles in abc order and record sheets at the ready.
My sweetie has also come down with this lovely bug and so it is survival mode at our house. If I can muster the energy I am spending the weekend getting the house back to some state of order and finishing up several piles of things dumped for dealing with "later". I am longing to play with the latest idea I have for some new house blocks-I even have some new fabric for it sitting on the table-under one of those piles! Bring on the weekend!

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger swooze said...

Well darn the bugs! I think we have all had our fair share! Get better and I hope you can join in on the stay at home retreat!

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Hunter said...

They are so lucky to have you organizing the raffle.

Good work.

:)

Darilyn

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger jovaliquilts said...

What a bummer that the bug is working its way to everyone in the house. Hope you feel better!

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

sounds miserable all around - a cold and dealing with state tax laws. bleah. hope you get lots of energy soon.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Magpie Sue said...

Here's hoping you're stitching and not having to nurse your sweetie back to health :- )

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

That sounds like a lot of work. When I was in a guild, I admit I always bought the tickets I was responsible for selling....still never won the raffle quilt!

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Joanne said...

We're passing the cold/cough back and forth here too. The cold part isn't bad, it's the annoying cough at night -- not a lot of rest.
Sounds like you have the raffle tickets under control. People like buying tickets for a quilt, so shouldn't be too hard to get rid of them! (And I never win either!)

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Hey Cher, hope you are truly all better by now. Three cheers for having such a good handle on the raffle stuff. A very good logical way to have handled it! I'm impressed *VBS*
The family quilt in process is very interesting. I know I'd be having trouble with the dark fabric, but it sure looks like you have it under control. I'll be excited to see your new housing ideas. Hugs, Finn

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Clare said...

Hope you are both feeling a bit better by now.

Can't wait to see your new housing project.

Keep warm.

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Kucki68 said...

I know the bug thing, it stinks! MyGuy is out for the count this week too. Let's hope he has not passed it on to me before I removed myself to the couch for sleeping.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home