Saturday, July 21, 2007

currently working on


I am on a roll today-I posted the Sisters photos and now will share the current project I am working on: a stack of string blocks with four strings stitched so far on each one-and the string bin holding the strings I am using. I am stitching for a while, doing house chores for a while, taking a computer break, having a cup of coffee, then start all over again. Next up: free motion quilting on the string quilt I want to show on Tuesday night. Dinner is the last of the leftovers from Wednesday night and tomorrow I will cook up various foods for lunches and dinners for the coming week. I approach cooking pretty much the same as using my stash- I always pull from the fridge and cabinets ingredients I need to use up before they go bad and/or have been around long enough it's time to use them. Or, they are part of an idea I want to make...I may have to go shop to add to what I pull...but to me, it's the same approach I often take in quilting- get an idea, pull from the stash, shop if I absolutely need to. Stitch up a bunch of blocks or units, cook up a batch of whatever. Sometimes you run out of a fabric or ingredient, you have to be creative and find something else that works. Sometimes I pull ingredients and then search for some recipe that uses them all...or make something up if I am too lazy to look. The longer I use this approach- the more I find myself making stuff up. Someone asked about the pattern for this string quilt I am showing a photo of in this post- oh, did I mention this is the quilt for my friend who came through surgery with flying colors? muslin foundations cut six and a half inches square-a string set on the diagonal in her favorite colors-plus a few I threw in just because. I am making sixty three "blocks" and will set 7 across by 9 down..a good sized lap quilt.
Mindless stitching after the wedding project is just so relaxing...and more happy colors to boot.
I just love days like today-when you can do as you please and enjoy the doing of them at your own pace. And, another whole day of the same thing to look forward to. Life is good!!!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

Your formula for mixing the quilting and housework worked for me yesterday. I was finally able to move by evening. My back is a little stiff today, but nothing like yesterday. I finished a quarter of my niece's quilt yesterday and I will continue with the "formula" today while I get a customer quilt loaded and started. Hope your weekend continues to be productive. Nice chatting with you yesterday.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Looks great to me...and something you can just 'fly' through! Not such fussy, putzy stuff as the wedding quilt or even the fence rail..great choice of quilts to make! Have fun...big hugs, Finn

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger McIrish Annie said...

I have started doing the string blocks at night when I am too tired to think after working all day! it is definitely a relaxing "no brainer" way of quilting. love your approach to cooking also!

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

Glad to hear your friend came thru surgery so well. Enjoy your stash-style cooking ;-) That's wonderful!

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Joanne said...

I'm just trying to play catchup here -- and can't wait to see the finished wedding quilt. I, too, like to work a mindless stitching project in after one I've had to think about!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home