Thursday, July 26, 2007

string quilt on it's way



My free motion quilting practice continues with my latest charity quilt for wraptheminlove.
These are the string blocks I had fellow quilters from my guild retreat help make in April and now it's a finished quilt. As I took the rainbow rail and the wedding quilt for show and tell to my guild meeting-I did not bring this one. It also gets credit as a Heartstring (see sidebar for link) as I included one of their labels as well. I used a flannel backing and no batting for this quilt. Meanwhile binding on the wedding quilt is going on and this morning I should turn the last corner before having to leave for work. I am going to stop and work on the labels tonight. I have an idea and want to play around with it. As my sons occasionally read this blog, I am not going to post any photos or reveal anymore details until after the wedding-August 8th, and of course we won't be back until the end of that week. Suffice to say, the wedding quilt received suitable oohs and aahs from my fellow guild members and I am very happy with how it turned out. I am not so sure how the kids will feel about having to lug it home on the plane, but, too bad-I want to enjoy seeing them unwrap it! I just sent off 11 quilts to our charity headquarters and that brings my group total up to 50 for the year. The second quilt I am sharing is made by Anita D. a member of our charity group and my guild. She is an amazing quilter-when I emailed her on Sunday or Monday saying I had room for 2 more quilts and did she have any finished to add to the box...she came through on Tuesday night with two gorgeous quilts. This is a great one featuring the color red. She uses a version of the Handiquilter to do all her quilts for our charity group-and her quilting is terrific. She is lucky enough to be retired and can spend much of her time devoted to her quilting-she does wonderful, wonderful scrappy quilts and we are very fortunate to have her as part of our group. This is something I so enjoy about quilting-the gathering together of kindred spirits creating both art and function that will benefit others.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

both quilts look wonderful Cher - 50 quilts is quite an accomplishment.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

I'm looking forward to the big wedding quilt blog reveal!!

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

Hey, way to go Portland Piecers and their fearless leader, you! The year is not over and you have a good number completed already.

The Belles and I just finished our Heartstrings quilt which I was thankful Ginny quilted on her midarm set up. I love how the Box Quilt turned out in reds.

And the biggest cheer would be if the Wedding quilt is done!

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice write up...fun quilts...way to go on the free motion, I am back to zooming.

Wedding just around the corner...can it really be here already? Congrats to the kids!

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Holly said...

50 quilts is a LOT. Go Cher!

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Both quilts are just great! Love Anita's red contribution. I have one begun in that pattern, but to get it finish...oie! not so much!
But I'm working on 'things'...LOL.
Congratulations to you and Portland Piecers on such a wonderful accomplishment...50 is just awesome and it's only July!! Can't wait to see what the kids think of the wedding quilt..*VBS* Hugs, Finn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home