Saturday, September 08, 2007

in between sleeps....


adorable Alice spent the night-once she was in bed-I put the binding on this quilt. I am sending Finn a copy of the photo as this qualifies as an orphan quilt. The center part-that includes the black was a donation to our charity group. Too small-it sat around until I came up with the idea and the perfect stash fabric to enlarge it. A volunteer longarm gal just quilted it and returned it to me last Sunday. I figure that was a very large orphan block I rescued and turned into a snuggly quilt- into the box it went. Today during Alice naps, I have trimmed a donated queen size quilted quilt-ready to put binding on , stitched up one swaddling blanket for a baby shower gift for a co-worker I need to have done by this coming week, and took off binding on a 20 by 24 "quilt" so I can rescue the yellow log cabin blocks and turn them into something larger-again, suitable for a charity quilt. She is still napping, so blog reading and updating seemed the next thing to accomplish. Her parents called and said they would be picking her up late- and of course my response was, she is welcome to spend another night. After all, she has been a delightful angel for me. She and Zoe are wonderful together-the giggling on her part and the tail wagging on Zoe's part just make me laugh too. We have graduated to taking stroller dog walks nowadays...with a stop at the playground swing of course.

Anyway- I have been reading various blogs and seeing fantastic quilting going on! You all are doing some great work and having such fun and poor me, I am still trying to finish up other commitments before I allow myself play time for me. I am such a meanie to myself...as we all know it is our choice how we spend our time in the quilting department-but I feel stronger about keeping these promises than indulging myself. I am the queen of delayed gratification. I can wait to open a gift given to me today, until Christmas if it is supposed to be a Christmas gift.
However, I am going to make sure I finish stuff up tonight as tomorrow I am determined to do some playing for myself! And, I have so many ideas, I have no clue which one will win ...when I wake up I will decide.
I also have been inspired to start boxing up some of the many projects around here so I can more easily find them when I am ready to work on them. The lack of organization is making it a lot less fun to play at quilting recently.


Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I understand your desire to keep your committments. I feel the same way and many times I delay working on something I'd like to so I can finish up a donation quilt or one promised to my aunt or mom.

I have allowed myself to play with the doll quilts but I make myself progress through my to do list for the day before I can sit down and work on my hand quilting.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

Delayed gratification? What is that? I've never heard of such a strange concept. hee hee hee. you are so good.

 
At 4:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea with the orphaned block!

I have an orphaned block that I really like that's been sitting around for a couple of years -- this gives me some notions for what to do with it that don't involve a whole bunch more block making... Hmmm...

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Yes, I don't know anything about delayed gratification either. Play now, work later. That's my motto :)

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

Your quilt is adorable. Great use of an orphan block.

I think delayed gratification is a good thing. I seem to enjoy quilting more when I feel I've earned the time to quilt and play.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger atet said...

Ok, I am truly impressed. Then again, I'm an instant gratification person -- I want it, and I want it NOW (hmmn...wonder where my 2 yo gets it from?). Great work!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

I make myself finish up my commitments, also, but I think about the next "fun" one while I'm finishing. The planning is almost as much fun as diving in!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home