Monday, February 13, 2006

still quilting here

well, I have been hand quilting Texas baby and that sure keeps the hands busy and off the computer. I am almost done with the first row across. My fans are just over seven inches tall- and this quilt is 44.5 by 61.5....you do the math, all I know is, it's gonna take me a while to get done! This is really the first quilt I have tackled quilting by hand since 1981. I took a class five years ago...and of course did not practice. No, I decided life was too short and sent my quilts out to a long arm quilter. But you know, I always felt one day I would hand quilt a special quilt...one day...how I longed to enjoy that hand work and sense of connectedness with those pioneer women who had no other means of quilting than by hand. To enjoy the peace of sitting and working on a quilt. Thanks to many of you, I realized I could do it all- send some quilts out, machine quilt some, and yes, hand quilt one too.
I have spent some time trying to get around and read most of the blogs...with new ones being added-it sure takes longer! I am also packing and getting things ready for being gone for two weeks- off on vacation with my sister in Georgia. She is not a quilter but will gladly take any quilts I make for her *vbs*...we plan on having a lot of fun as she will also be on vacation. I am taking Texas baby and my knitting. I wanted to take my EPP project-but after pulling it out and determining what I would need to take with me-I changed my mind. There will be no new photos from Wednesday until the beginning of March. I am going to look around for a photo of my blooming nine patch quilt- Judy's reminded me I had come across a nice photo I took of it hanging in our guild show. For now, I need to get off the computer and fill out paperwork for the lawyer- 9:30 am appointment is about 12 hours away now.

ok...paperwork is calling- and then more hand quilting too....

3 Comments:

At 6:05 AM, Blogger Pam said...

No pictures until March...maybe LJ will post one or two for you? I was hoping to get a sneak peek at the TBQ. Enjoy your trip. "See" you when you get home.

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

I love to relax in my chair with a bit of handquilting. Just don't do it that often. I have a very large quilt that I've been wanting to hand quilt for several years. So I'm going to do a few small ones first to get in practise before I tackle the biggie.

Have fun on vacation and we'll look forward to lots of pictures and gossip when you return.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Debra Dee said...

I envy those who are good at hand quilting. I think it looks beautiful and feels so much more made with love. Maybe someday I'll learn how to do a good looking stitch and then hand stitch a quilt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home