Saturday, February 04, 2006

TOO MUCH STASH!

Last night I realized my African stash fabric was missing...so today the search was on. It used to be all my fabric was either in here (I used to have more storage in the closet in here- a whole lot more!) or the fabric room-on shelves or in bags on the floor when the shelves quickly filled.
Spring of 2005 we gutted the kitchen - which included doing some remodeling in the hallway too. I moved out all the fabric in the sewing space closet-into the fabric room. I put a lot of it into bins and stacked. I shoved all the fine china and breakables in there too-it became the packed to the gills store room/fabric room. ugh. Of course the remodel ran on and on. Finally, the kitchen was done and I started to reclaim the fabric room. I decided no more fabric in bags on the floor. There was no way all that fabric from the sewing space closet would fit back into it-I gave up a large chunk of it to a cabinet inset from the hallway side. what to do? I sorted and binned what would not fit-and so fabric was moved out to the garage...still somewhat accessible.
Luckily when I unearthed my Texas baby ufo from the garage, I remembered there was more fabric in there. So this morning I went right to that bin and yes, there was all the leftover African stash fabric. Now....I have it all in here-and of course, I have enough for two king sized quilts, at least. It's a good thing I no longer fabric shop like I used to! I am all for having a large enough stash to have variety- but, when you can not see it all? TOO MUCH STASH is indeed my feeling. I have saved all sorts of related pieces of fabric...some of it too big of prints to cut up for a small wall hanging-good backing however-except then you don't get to appreciate the print. I know a series will happen here....but right now I do not want to make a large quilt...M just laughs at me when I say, no really, these wonky houses are going to be a small, small quilt.
Bottom line: play with a few more houses, call it enough, fit the background around the way that pleases me...and stop. Once the backing is made and the binding- gather all this wonderful African stash back up-put back in the bin, mark it accordingly and move on. I will never get back to my ufo mission otherwise. I will know where all that fabric is next time I want some.
Now, I really am going to get away from this computer and back to the matter at hand-quilting!

4 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger Debra Dee said...

Isn't it aggrivating when you can't find something or worse yet can't remember where it is squirreled away. I have been looking for the box with my patterns in it since September and finally today it was located. Now my sewing room feels complete.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Hurray for finding the elusive African fabric...*G* I totally identify with TOO MUCH STASH..and yet, my friends look at me in amazement when I say I'm on a NO fiber diet..LOL

My goal this year is to buy NONE..not backing, binding, border or anything else that is made of fabric. Will I make it for 12 months?? Who knows, but I'm going to try!
Today is make backing days..one for the little monsters quilt, and on for the guild BOM that I am currently showing on my blog. I think I've busted 5 yards for the borders and backing on the guild, and still need to pull something out for the monsters. I'm keeping track as I go and will enter it at stashbusters at the end of the month..*VBG* You GO girl!! Make that village sing and dance !!!

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger quiltpixie said...

glad you were able to get out the homing device and find the fabric. I think your houses have been fun, but yes, working on a block or tow can be a real distraction form other quilting projects....

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Granny said...

Glad you found your fabric. I hate it when I search for something and can't find it.

Houses are looking great!

Judy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home