Friday, February 10, 2006

does going to a quilt show count?

I had a lovely day today...picking up a dear friend and heading to a quilt shop I had not ever visited before...oh the brights! oh the colors! oh the wonderful quilts and quilting on them! This shop is just a gem of a quilt shop-I found perl cotton in all sorts of colors, even varigated-it was fun to see all the threads they carried-all that color. It was a bright sunny day outside with the wind rushing and gusting you along.
I had brought Texas baby and sat down and did some hand quilting while we waited for our other friend to join us. I gave up trying to use an in between needle and went back to a regular size sharp that feels best in my hand to quilt with. I got several arcs done and then it was time to go see quilts. The Bethany Lutheran Church quilters apparently do this show each year. They put their quilts with little hand written notes -telling you their name and a scrap about the quilt- all over the backs of the pews...and they had all sorts of quilts there-everything from a stack and whack to a double wedding ring. It being held in the church, the show is a Friday and Saturday only event. Downstairs they had lunch available and lots of home baked goods for sale. I would think there were maybe 50 quilts there-with one antique one-sorry no photos to share! A nice lunch out and it was back home to do boring errands and such. I pulled fabric for letters for my wonky village- trying to decide which ones ...I may have to try several before I can make up my mind and really get anywhere.

Yes, I bought a yard of this yummy orange subtle pattern, tone on tone..and the moda quilt pink squares..for doing the block event later this year.

Tomorrow more family stuff going on for much of the day-not sure when I will have any quilting time... probably will watch some of the Olympics and hand quilt during that time..at least that will be something being worked on.

Finn- I will do a post on WrapThemInLove another time...for now I am calling it a night...

6 Comments:

At 5:40 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Thanks Cher, but only if you feel like it..and it's a good fit, timewise, etc..ok?? I was just curious about the basics of it..*S*

Love the new font size(*VBG*) and the color as well, really shows up!

What a great day you had!! That's like having sunshine on your shoulders..*S* I think it's fine for you to quilt with WHATEVER needle and fiber you choose. I love the look of the utility quilting, the bright colors and very visable stitches. It makes a statement about your confidence level, I think. Kind of a "watch out quilt police,here I come"...LOL

My perle cotton basket has dozens of colors collected over the years. I mostly like size 8, as size 5 is hard to pull through and I've snubbed my nose at sizes 10 and 12. But lately I've used some size 12, and it's just barely thicker than quilt thread..and I'm liking it alot..*S*
Son't worry about your arcs as you make the fans, they get better as you go! Have a great weekend!! Hugs, Finn

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger quiltpixie said...

Sounds like you had a really fun day. The quilts over the back of pews sounds wonderful, much less sterile a show, so you get some of the comfort from the quilts...

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger  Jeanne said...

Sounds like a lovely excursion! Yum - variegated perle!! :)

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Patti said...

Glad you had such a nice day. Sounds like a nice show. They do the show in Canby that way also - very nice for a change. What is the name of the new shop and where is it - St Helens?

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Hunter said...

What a wonderful day. Thank you so much for sharing.
Hugs.
Darilyn

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a fun day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home