Sunday, March 11, 2007

something to brag about

Today I put the very last stitch in the challenge wall hanging. I am considering making a tube to roll it up in and store until it hangs in my guild show. I am especially pleased with the label I made for it as well. I did this while my aunt had her hair done. She is not allowed to drive yet and after a month of being in hospital/assisted care-a hair cut was just the pick me up she needed! She looks quite gorgeous now. We went grocery shopping and then I brought her back to our home for a nice supper. Her diet is still limited-but she enjoyed oven baked chicken, rice and fresh asparagus. Afterwards I showed a few of my quilts and stitched a little. Then we played some canasta and laughed the whole time. It is so wonderful to be able to spend this fun time with her after all the health challenges she has been through. I drove her home and then came back to work on the blocks that were up on the design wall. I promised Linda I would post a photo once they got to the finished top stage- or flimsey as some bloggers are fond of calling a completed top. Click for a larger view.





This project is back from 1999 and 2000 - I combined swap blocks and siggie squares - as I posted earlier, Linda helped me out by sending a siggie square as I was one short and needed one from her to pair up with her swap block. Pam and Veronica-you are also on there! I was framing siggie squares while my aunt visited with me-and I have to say this is the fastest top I have done in a long time..do you suppose it's because it's only 42 inches by 26 inches?? It will be a wall hanging for the sewing room once it's finished. Of course I was able to pull the perfect sashing and setting triangles from stash-I think I have about three to four different bee fabrics as I knew someday these blocks would need bee fabric. The list name we all swapped on was A Cozy Quilt Bee....sadly it's been gone for several years now. When I joined, I think I had just made a few of my first blocks as a returning quilter. I really was a beginner - and that group taught me so much. Plus, I made friends that I still enjoy to this day! I like doing a small project-what instant gratification they are. Pretty soon my oldest ufo will be crossed off the list.
And the un-brag part: I still have not done the cutting I keep swearing I am going to do any minute now....well, there is tomorrow. I did wash and dry more fabric for the next up quilts-so I have even more fabric waiting to be cut.

Life is Good!
cleaning up the sewing room
spending time with loved ones
daffodils flowering

6 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger Pam said...

I love that you combined the two sets of swaps, siggies and blocks, kinda like giving you a 2-in-1 project. I would never have thought to do that!

So glad to hear that Naomi is feeling better and better.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

I love your little quilt top! The bee fabric and friendship blocks are perfect for this project. Your attention to cutting up your scraps into useful pieces has inspired me and I spent a couple of nights last week tackling that same project in my sewing area. Like you, I have more to go! *LOL*

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Darcie said...

Sounds like you've had quite a grand time...visiting with and helping your dear Aunt...sewing on and finishing quilts! Life is good!

And size does NOT matter...done is DONE! ;-)

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

now didnt that turn out well--the bee fabric is inspired! I like it on point as well.

One of these days, I will have one of mine to show from the same swap. Will be about time, huh?

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger Gail said...

Your little top turned out quite pretty- good idea to combine two swaps, it worked well. Sounds like you had a great time with your Aunt, I'm glad she is improving.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Greenmare said...

I love your friendship stars! Those pictures of little Alice are pretty cute too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home